Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Why don't we pray more?

Loaded question, I know. If I could solve the problem of why Christians pray so little, I could write a book and make lots of money.

A little over a week ago I preached a sermon about the time when the apostles were unable to cast out a demon (Luke 9; Mark 9; Matt. 17). In Matthew's account Jesus says their inability is due to the littleness of their faith (which is not really a littleness in "quantity" because faith the size of a mustard seed can move a mountain. Somehow, the "littleness" refers to their regard toward the object of their faith - for it is God's Spirit which moves mountains. Zech. 4:6-7). In Mark's account it is clear that what the apostles were trying to accomplish can only be done through prayer. The disciples weren't trusting which was evidenced by their lack of prayer.

But, earlier in Luke chapter 9, Jesus sent the 12 out to proclaim the kingdom, heal the sick and cast out demons. Jesus empowered them to do these things. Then, just a few verses later - because of their lack of faith and lack of prayer - the 12 are found impotent to do what they are already empowered to do.

Isn't that interesting?

They had a history of success and some understanding of their own empowerment. Evidently, they didn't think they needed to trust anymore - didn't really need to pray.

This gives me tremendous insight as to why I often pray so little. We do the things that are important to us. The reason we are not fervent in prayer is because deep down we don't think we really need to be. Somehow we think we can make it on our own - do it on our own.

But, I know better. I really do. I have seen Him answer prayer. I know the commands of Scripture. I know how important prayer is. I know how wonderful it can be. When I set aside a significant amount of time for prayer, I gain new perspective on my circumstances; I usually feel refreshed and connected to my creator. Invariably I ask myself why I don't do that everyday. I don't know the answer.

In my marriage - I love praying with Kelly. It draws us together as a couple. I can feel closer to her and to God at the same time - how great is that? So, why don't I initiate prayer with my wife on a daily basis? I am not quite sure.

We had a prayer gathering at church this past weekend. What a wonderful time. I love hearing the murmur of prayer huddles scattered throughout a large room. I left thinking, "why don't we do this more often?" Not sure - just not a priority, I guess.

I think we all feel a measure of guilt over this. Somehow, none of us feel like we are where we are supposed to be. And, usually our solution has to do with frequency and duration. "I am committing to praying more frequently and for longer periods of time", we say. But, I don't think that frequency is the problem. Frequency is the symptom. It's a heart problem - it's a dependency problem - an arrogance problem - a problem of self-sufficiency. When we feel the distinct need for God, we pray. The reason we don't "pray always" is because we don't always feel the need for God. Plain and simple. That's our problem.

2 comments:

Ross Bryant said...

A good word. Very good, in fact.

If you get the opportunity, pray for me. Wednesday night I'll be pinch hitting for John Brown's reading group (he's in Africa for the week) and the book is, ironically, Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer. I frequently stink at this too, so I guess that's why I got the call up for this one.

Stephen said...

Thanks for sharing Greg,
I am in complete agreement with you. We see ourselves as independent creatures and yet truly we are soo dependant on God even for our next breath. Thanks for the reminder! God bless!!!

your bro in Christ