Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Desperate Times

We have a single dad neighbor across the street. He has two kids. We love them all; it has been great to get to know them. Last night, the dad calls me at about 10:30pm and asks, "Um... would you happen to have 13 packets of hot cocoa mix?" I don't think I have ever been asked that question before. His son had just informed him that he was responsible for providing hot cocoa for his whole class - some Christmas shindig. I told him that unfortunately, we did not have 13 packets, but we did have half a family sized "Swiss Miss" can. He said, "Well... um... could I... let's see, what's the word?" "Have it?", I said. "Yeah, that's it".

Desperate times.

This morning our pastor of Students ministries has been out preparing for some big youth Christmas thing tonight. He called me and asked, "Um... would you or your family happen to have an elf suit?"

I don't think I have ever been asked that question either.

I told him that when the government came and collected every one's elf suits, we had to give ours up. It was old and well used anyway - he probably wouldn't have liked it.

Desperate times call for desperate questions.

Tis the season, I guess.

6 comments:

Jenna said...

The government didn't get MY elf suit, but I doubt it would fit your Student Ministries pastor...

Greg said...

I do have 13 packets of hot chocolate but it would take too long to get them to you!
Merry Christmas!
Christmas Eve is upon us and we won't get to spend it with you all again! I miss our get togethers!
I never did have a elf suit so I am feeling a bit left out!

Kristen said...

Hilarious! :)

Mama Gail said...

Now, wait a minute - I think you were holding out on your pastor of student ministries. I distinctly remember seeing videos of you and other members of your family dancing in elf suits...recently. Do you mean to tell me there has been a government raid on your home since then? I don't think so. What would have been the harm in letting him borrow one of those suits? Shame on you!

Alyssa said...

Alyssa here, OH DEAR!!! HOW COULD THEY POSSIBLY TAKE YOUR ELF SUITS!

They better not come to Iowa. . .

;-)

John Buerger said...

I will have you all know, that the elf suit was going for a very good cause. Indeed, many poor souls went without much needed, soul-impacting ministry because Greg could not provide me with an elf suit.

It will take me some time, but I hope that I will come to the place where I can trust him again. These kinds of things can take years.