Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My aching back

My back has aged about 20 years over the last 2 weeks. I don't know what has happened to me. I can't stand for more than about 10 minutes without sitting down. (This last weekend I had to preach from a stool. I have been told that preaching from a stool makes me look hip and cool - which is a nice added benefit I suppose - not that I need any help looking hip and cool.) I'd give up the hipness if my back didn't hurt so bad. My lower back feels like it is collapsing under the weight of my torso. The pain continues when I lie down. It just aches. I don't know what I did to it.

The only time it feels ok is when I sit with bad posture - you know - kind of slouching. Supposedly, slouching is bad for your back. Not mine I guess.

Most people have lower back pain - at least that is what I have been told. I guess it is my turn now.

It stinks.

6 comments:

Beverly said...

Hello Greg,
I remember being surprised when I heard this http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6553644 on the radio. I hope slouching can continue to do you some good while your body and mind work through the pain.

Beverly said...

p. s.
I don't know if the whole link there copied, but I did a google search on slouching and npr and found the report that I heard once upon a time. Here's the link again. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6553644

Jenna said...

Chiropractor.

Greg said...

Jenna,
I have long been told that chiropractors make you addicted to chiropractors. Perhaps it is the answer, but I sure wish my recovery didn't involve another addiction.

Ray and Janell said...

no man. jenna (whoever she is) has it right! go see a good chiropractor (emphasis on the word good) they can save your life. i will tell you the story sometime ... over coffee ... at lincoln perk, eh?

Stephen said...

My brother also has a horrible bad back. He was playing basketball and dove for the ball and hit his back against the bleachers. It has been crippling for almost five years now. He has been going to a chiropractor and getting massages for three of those years. However, from what I observe and hear from him it really hasn't gotten any better. I don't know whether Chiropractor is the solution or not for your case. I guess I am just stating, that it isn't always the solution. It certainly isn't the gospel for bad back pain :-) Praying for you Greg! God bless!

your bro in Christ,
Stephen