Saturday, November 24, 2007

bella

A few weeks ago I heard about a new movie coming out called "bella". Within the email network of the Christian sub-culture, "bella" was creating quite a buzz. As an independent film it won the "People's Choice Award" at the Toronto Film festival - along with several other awards. I went to the web site and saw the promotional videos and interviews with the filmmakers. I was quite impressed and eager to see the movie. (Go to http://www.bellamoviesite.com/site/# and watch the videos to learn more.)

The problem is - it's an independent film with limited release, and we live in the middle of Kansas. It would be a four-hour trip to Kansas City to see it. We just assumed we would have to wait till it came out on DVD.

Well, last week I got an email from a colleague that a theater in Wichita was going to show the movie for two days (and perhaps longer if there was a good showing). I am sure there has been quite a lot of emailing and word-of-mouth publicity because without any promotion in the Wichita area, Kelly and I saw it yesterday - in the middle of the day - at a nearly packed house.

What a great movie.

I don't want to give away any of the story, so I'll be slight on details.

The movie deals with a complex and heart wrenching topic, but it does so with sensitivity, artfulness, and simplicity. It is a fairly slow and quiet film - so keep that in mind if you go and see it (we could hear the "booms" and feel the rumble of "Beowulf" showing in the theater next door). But, even without action sequences or "star power" of a major release, I found "bella" to be gripping and profound. After the movie, Kelly went to the restroom and cried. I left the theater saying, "Wow. That was really good."

At its heart it is a story of redemption with very real characters in a very real city.

I also love the non-stereotypical portrayal of many of the Mexican-American main characters. I can't imagine anyone not admiring Jose's family and secretly wishing that all families were more like his. The characters are complex and heroic and all together likable.

Like still waters that run deep, the themes of this quiet film touch at the heart of human issues. In all of our lives, themes like law, grace, love, forgiveness, the sanctity of life, the value of family, guilt, and redemption all have their day. They have their day in this film as well.

I am not sure what else to say without giving away too much or sounding too much like a movie critic. If it is showing in your area go and see it. I think you will like it.

1 comment:

Mama Gail said...

We absolutely loved that movie and plan to add it to our DVD library. It's a must-have - very powerful!