Friday, November 16, 2007

Family movie night


As part of their school work, my daughters just read a biography of Eric Liddell. (In case you have forgotten, Eric Liddell was the Scottish runner who refused to run in a qualifying 100 meter race in the 1924 Olympics because it was held on a Sunday. This was the pivotal event in the 1981 movie Chariots of Fire. Eric later became a missionary to China.)

My girls enjoyed learning about Eric Liddell and were excited with the prospect of watching Chariots of Fire when they were done.

Now, Chariots of Fire is one of my all-time favorite movies (for reasons I will share in just a moment). But the first time I saw it (at age 10), I thought it was hopelessly boring. In my 10 year old mind, the whole movie was... talking in an English accent, running, talking in an English accent, running, talking in an English accent... the end.

I was afraid they might not like it.

Abby and Emma were good sports about the whole thing. They had heard me talk about how much I liked it. I think they were more excited before they saw the movie than afterwards. I think it is safe to say that Chariots of Fire is not their favorite movie in the world. Oh, well.

Here's why I like it:

I love the comparison between Harold Abrahams and Eric Liddell. They are both world-class runners who both win gold. But Harold runs for himself and Eric runs for the glory of God.

Harold's identity is swallowed by his need to win. Eric's identity is in Christ.

Since Eric's worth as a person is not determined by whether he wins or loses, he can afford to greet his fellow runners, be kind to them and wish them the best of luck. Harold cannot afford such fraternization.

Before his gold-medal race Harold realizes his fear of winning gold. If he wins at the highest level, what then will he do for the rest of his life? Indeed - he wins but does not celebrate.

Eric does celebrate. He can see the proper place that running should have in his life.

What a great movie - great acting, great characters, great storyline, great music.

The best quote of the movie is when Eric is talking to his sister Jenny about her concerns that all this running would distract him from becoming a missionary to China. Eric tells her, "I believe God made me for a purpose... for China. But, he also made me fast. And when I run I can feel his pleasure. For me not to run would be to hold this gift in contempt."

What a wonderful quote for all of us with our own unique, quirky and individual gifts and talents granted to us by our loving Creator. To not do our best with what we have been given is to hold our gift (and the gift giver) in contempt.

So, Eric runs. He wins a gold medal. He uses his fame to further the Kingdom as best he can. And then he goes to China where he spends the rest of his days making disciples of Christ among unreached people.
That's a life well lived.

It's also a very good movie. At least I think so.

1 comment:

John Buerger said...

I want to shout a healthy "word up" to your post on Chariots of Fire. It is a great movie...for all the reasons you gave.