Thursday, January 17, 2008

"Too bad the rules don't allow me to be merciful"


This past Sunday I used yet another movie for an illustration in the message I was giving. I think that the story of Les Miserables is one of the most poignant and dramatic that I have ever come across. I have seen the live performance twice. I have seen the most recent movie (the one with Liam Neeson) multiple times. I have been told that previous versions of the movie are even better. I don't know. I haven't seen them. Someday I will muster my courage to read Victor Hugo's tome by the same title. Maybe someday.

There are so many themes touched upon in this story - it would be impractical to recount them all here. At it's heart it is a story of redemption, law and grace. Grace as portrayed by Jean Valjean, an ex-convict who is shown extraordinary, life changing grace at the beginning of the story. Law as portrayed by Javert, a police lieutenant who has spent his entire life "trying to never break a single rule."

As the story progresses, the one who has been shown mercy and grace bestows grace upon others. The one who lives under law shows no mercy and needs none for himself. Nor will he accept grace once it is offered. Grace is out of keeping with a man of justice.

But, throughout the story grace can't prevail. Valjean is hunted. There is still a price to pay. The law requires it. Good intentions cannot overcome the requirement of the law. And the law is good and right and just. Only by one final act of self-sacrifice - under the law - by the one who keeps the law - can the law be satisfied and grace truly prevail. Only then can there be freedom.

Wow. That'll preach.

If you haven't seen it, see it. There are multiple movie versions. I am sure there is still a traveling group somewhere still performing the musical. It's well worth the price of admission - or at least a dvd rental.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Absolutely, an incredible story... But it's "tome".
With much love from your random orbit sanding wife

Jenna said...

Yeah, I back Kelly up. High school students forced to read Les Miz might THINK it's a tomb....but it's really a tome. It's on Joey's nightstand right now and I can't get him to put it down, so I think it's a good read. I still remember the sermon Steve preached where he used the Les Miz clip...really powerful stuff.

Greg said...

Ok, ok. So spelling is not my spiritual gift. I have changed "tomb" to "tome" - it was an innocent error - could have happened to anyone.

Mama Gail said...

I knew homeschooling was working for Erika when she picked up and read that tome on her own as a highschooler, just because she wanted to. I had never read it and still haven't to this day, but it had a huge impact on her. It's a powerful story, but alas, I only know that from having seen the movie & play and hearing Erika talk about the book.