Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day


When you are surrounded by women like I am (with a wife and 3 daughters), you forget Valentine’s Day at your own peril. This is a big day in the Holmes' household - lots of chocolate, lots of flowers, lots of heart shaped cookies with frosting and sprinkles. Fun times.

Because of schedules, however, mine and Kelly's official valentine's dinner won't be until tomorrow. Which is actually fine with me because I will be able to get half price on flowers tomorrow (but don't tell my wife). My two oldest girls will be spending the night with friends. Gracie will be going to bed early and I will be making a gourmet meal for two (at least I hope it will be gourmet).

I am continually amazed that I get to be married to the wife God has given me. I am the most blessed man I know. Truly. God has been so very gracious to me. And my greatest earthly blessing is my beloved Kelly. What an amazing woman. This May we will be celebrating 15 years of marriage. She is more beautiful now than she was then.

To Gracie and Emma and Abby and most of all, to my lovely Kelly - Happy, Happy Valentine's Day.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Thank you, Honey. Happy Valentine's Day to you. I love you.

Beverly said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you both, and thanks for letting me be your blog friend :-). Have a lovely dinner. What will you eat?

Greg said...

Bev,
Tonight's menu will include: a salad of Romain lettuce, Feta cheese, toasted walnuts and oranges; whole wheat cibatta bread; broiled tilapia with a citrus glaze; lemon rice pilaf; steamed asparagus; and then for dessert we will be having creme brulee topped with rasberries, blackberries and blueberries.

We are kind of in denial that it is winter.

John Buerger said...

Kelly,

I would be offended if someone questioned my looks...even if they tried to hide it by saying that I "look better now than I did THEN."

Are you kidding? Girlfriend, you gotta tell that boy that you've been Expert Number One on looking good for as long as his sad little eyes have been blessed to see you!

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Greg said...

John,

I originally wrote, "She is more beautiful now than she was then - and she was really hot then." But, I wasn't sure if I should be writing a sentence like that on the internet for everyone to see.

Mama Gail said...

It does this mother-in-law's heart good to read such a loving tribute to her daughter. And Greg, you have some things to teach young John-Boy. Every married woman knows without a doubt that her husband found her beautiful when he met her. It's looking in the mirror 10, 15, 30 years later that tempts her to insecurity about the present. Share your wisdom and experience with your young apprentice - he's going to need it in years to come.

John Buerger said...

Thank you, mama gail, for your blazing rebuke. I repent in dust and ashes..... :)

However, I am thankful for good friends like Greg and Kelly who are able to recognize a good joke when they see one.

Mama Gail said...

But alas, young John, even such good friends as these cannot be persuaded to share their elf suits with a youth pastor in need. Perfect friendships are not to be found this side of heaven.