Monday, February 4, 2008

And the winner is...

We went to a Superbowl party yesterday. One of the members of my small-group invited the group over to watch the game because they have a really big screen by which to watch such things. I have never seen a screen that big inside someone's home. It was really, really big. It was a good 11 to 12 feet across and 7 to 8 feet tall. I am not kidding.

We were watching the game in style.

I was rooting for the Giants. Not because I care anything about the Giants, but because they were the underdog. I always root for the underdog. It's just the way I am. My only exception to that rule is when U.T. is playing, or the San Antonio Spurs, or the Texas Rangers baseball team. I always root for them. In the case of the Rangers, they are usually the underdog anyway. They are pretty bad.

So, anyway, I was rooting for the Giants, which made for an excellent Superbowl - a real nail-biter.

But, everyone knows that the game is not the only attraction on Superbowl Sunday. There are also commercials.

Every year big companies spend big bucks to hire the biggest advertising agencies to do their best commercials to air on Superbowl Sunday. Usually, the commercials are not nearly worth the hype. Most are utterly forgettable or leave you wondering what product they were trying to sell. Way to go, advertisers.

The best commercial BY FAR was not produced by Nike or Gatorade or Pepsi or Coke, but by the NFL itself. Their spot about Chester Pitts "Mr. Oboe" was just great.

If you didn't see it, you can watch it here http://superad.nfl.com/

8 comments:

Greg said...

I still maintain that I am only one of six people who were actually cheering for the Patriots.
The other five? I think they live in the Boston area somewhere...

storm_OWL said...

Great ad. I personally liked the E-trade add with the baby who spits up. By the way, as of today, the Rangers are tied for first in the AL west. So there!
Brian

Rick said...

Gail and I both loved that ad too. I think our 2nd best was the Budweiser ad — Dalmatian coming along side the Clydesdale... it's about relationship, man! (and beast). For Brian — yea, that's the tightest division I've seen in a while (next to the AL east, that is.)

Mama Gail said...

Reply to Greg L.: Down here in San Antonio, I was also rooting for the Patriots - which was not easy flanked by my husband & son who were compelled to root for the underdogs like most everyone else. Of course I understand next to nothing about football, but I can usually tell who's winning.

Paul missed that ad (the oboe playing NFL player.) Trying to describe it to him just didn't do it justice. It was great.

Greg said...

Mama Gail: COOL! That makes seven of us! If you think about it, with all the people cheering on the Giants, doesn't that make the Patriots underdogs? :-)
Just grasping at straws now! LOL!
Someone just needs to remind me it's now over and in the books...

Greg said...

Brian - I believe you are mistaken. I am pretty sure the Rangers are at least two games out of first in the AL West as of February 6. It's tough being a Rangers' fan.

Beverly said...

Hi Greg,
I'd like to put your blog and Kelly's on a list of blogs I like to visit. Would that be okay with you?

kristin said...

well, through dear beverly, i found a blogger close to home!

great stuff you have written here.