Friday, March 28, 2008

A visit to the principal's office

Yesterday was a first for the Holmes' household. Kelly and I met with the principal of the Hesston public middle school to start the process of enrolling Abby and Emma for this next fall. That's right, our two home schooled kids will be braving the wild and woolly world of jr. high. They will officially enter the ranks of the Mighty Fighting Swathers.

(Those not from this area might be wondering what exactly a "swather" is. Fair question. It's a piece of farm equipment used to make hay bales.)

Yep. That's our mascot.

We had a very good visit with the principal. We also had a chance to meet the school counselor, a few of the teachers, the lunch ladies, and Lilly (the school's Golden Retriever who has free reign to walk the halls and go in and out of classrooms - very cool).

Kelly and I were very encouraged by our visit. I am looking forward to this new chapter in our family's life. Abby and Emma are nervous - which is to be expected - it's all very new. But, I am so proud of them. They are going to do awesome.

9 comments:

Ross Bryant said...

wow.

Beverly said...

Greg and Kelly,
Thank you for this post and for your comments last week, Kelly. Oh, I'm sure your girls will enjoy public school and learn well there. Do you care to share more about the reasons your family is making this change? Sounds like it is a joyful decision for you. How does your family's decision to make this shift in schooling arrangements mesh with your overall understanding of education? I'd be curious to know what education is to you. That's something I'm asking myself lots of questions about. Blessings!

Ray and Janell said...

might i make a slight correction? swathers cut hay, crimp it and then place the hay into what are known as windrows. so they only assist in the haymaking process -- they don't actually make the haybales (correct spelling -- not hay bails as written) just didn't want you looking like a city slicker more than you have too.

Greg said...

Ray & Janell,
Thanks. I knew I could count on you to keep me "in the know" on such things. I wouldn't want anyone to think I am a city boy.

Ray and Janell said...

no problem my friend ... i got your back. :-)

Greg said...

The masscot must be a strong person to be able to carry that during a game! LOL! (Sorry. Iowa humor! It doesn't make sense to me either!)

Alyssa said...

Swathers.
ha.
haha.
:-) That makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

awesome! im sure they will do amazing...i survived it all! :)

Anonymous said...

just a note to let you know my blog has moved to: http://endlessblessings.wordpress.com/ check it out and leave me a comment!