Friday, November 14, 2008

There and back again; A Holmes' Tale

About 11 years ago Kelly and I packed up all our worldly possessions, strapped in our toddler and our newborn, and we headed north. I had just finished 4 years at Dallas Theological Seminary and we were off to full-time vocational ministry in the great Mid West. Those 11 years have been quite an adventure. We went places we had never been; we met tons of wonderful people; we faced difficult challenges, and made great friends. Through it all God has taken care of us and has given us the opportunity to be a part of his mission. Now we are back - back in Big D - the home of the Cowboys, Tex-Mex, good barbecue, and terrible traffic.

Big D is also the home of my brother and sister in-law, Brian and Melanie - who are among my most favorite people in the world. Through grace and generosity they are alowing my family of five to invade their beautiful home during this time of transition. They are pretty awesome people. We just hope they don't get too sick of us.

Over the next few weeks Kelly and I will be reconnecting with old friends, chasing down job opportunities and trying our best to decompress and relax. We'll see how that goes.

7 comments:

Erika said...

I think you may have forgotten to mention one other thing the Holmes' did in the midwest...

You got a close family member married off to an Iowa boy and permanently settled there before heading back south!

Thank you, by the way. : )

The Bullhorn said...

Greg,

I'm glad y'all have landed at this point. Give me a call sometime, when you have time. I'd love to talk to you about how it's going.

Greg said...

Glad to see you blogging again! I missed your muse.
We are praying for you and I would love to talk sometime.

Unknown said...

Great to catch up! Really look forward to seeing how your journey unfolds. Talk to you soon-
cec

Unknown said...

Wow it's a small world, at least on the internet. It's Bob (Mary's husband) and it turns out we are living about 5 blocks from your old town house in Murphy. And here we thought we lost you in Iowa! We will have to get Kelly and Mary back in touch.

Greg said...

Bob, Great to hear from you. We would love to see you guys. We are currently staying just south of McKinney - not too far from you.

Unknown said...

Once we get though the holidays, I'll give you guys a call. It would be nice to see you and the family. I think I found Brian's phone number in the book, but you can contact me directly at: kc4uai@gmail.com