Monday, April 2, 2007

Monday musings Apirl 2

I am still reeling over my sermon yesterday. There are certain passages that make me feel especially hypocritical as a preacher. Yesterday's was one of them. The passage in question is Luke 9:10-27. Jesus has just revealed himself through series of amazing miracles (stilling the storm, the Gerasene demoniac, the hemorrhaging woman and the raising of Jairus' daughter) - He then sends the 12 out on a training mission, empowered to perform miracles of their own. He was not only training the 12 for disciple-making, He was revealing himself in a unique way. Jesus isn't just a prophet or teacher - he is divine. He doesn't just have the power to do amazing things, he has the power to empower others to do amazing things. So, when he calls them to step out in obedience and do something that they cannot do - they are to obey and do it anyway. This is tested in 9:13 when he tells them to feed thousands of hungry people.

All of that is pretty convicting - stepping out in radical obedience to do what we cannot do. That's tough for guys like me who tend to play it safe.

But the worst is yet to come.

Jesus goes on to ask if disciples have learned their lesson. Do they understand who Jesus is? Peter gets it right and confesses that Jesus is the "Christ of God". Then Jesus drops a bombshell - he will be rejected and killed and then rise on the third day. It is obvious that this is not what Jesus' disciples were expecting to hear.

It would be a whole lot more enjoyable to follow a Messiah who brings joy and blessing and freedom and prosperity to his people. But, what does it mean to follow one who was rejected and tortured to death? Jesus describes what this will mean for his followers. As they publicly align themselves with one whom the world has rejected, they will have to carry that scorn and derision daily. And, if they try to save their lives they will ultimately lose them - but if they willingly lay down their lives for the sake of Christ - they will find life.

This is the part that is hard to preach.

I am pretty wimpy when it comes to hardship or suffering. I do not "count it all joy"; I count the minutes till it's over. I tend to do whatever is necessary to insure my life is pain free and comfortable. Not that we are to seek out hardship - but it seems like Christ is telling us to expect suffering if we are going to be a follower of his. I don't expect it. To be quite honest, I expect to be treated better than Christ was. I rarely - very rarely - suffer for the sake of Christ.

Our understanding of who Jesus is and what his earthly ministry is all about affects our perception of what it means to be his follower. Is the Jesus that we follow wearing a crown of gold? A crown of roses? A crown of thorns? A student is not above his teacher. If Jesus wore a crown of thorns, how is it that I expect to follow him wearing a crown of roses?

3 comments:

Greg said...

My friend, I could have written this! Not as well but I agree whole-heartely with what you said! I am the same way. I am a master weasel when it comes to avaoiding pain and suffering. Thank you for sharing this because it is true for me as well!

Stephen said...

Hey Greg,
Thanks for sharing. Your openess ans honesty is encouraging. God rejoices in your openess as we examine our own heart through His Word and find how weak and feeble we are. Because it is in this we cling to Jesus and find our competance in Him alone. Thanks again for sharing the same is true of me. It is my prayer that God will continue His mighty work in us. And I rejoice knowing that He will continue it to completion! God bless!

Stephen said...

would it be ok if I added your blog to my links?