Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Thoughts about coffee grounds - part 1


I love coffee. I really, really do. Like a lot of people, my love for good coffee started when Starbucks showed up in my neighborhood. I was quickly hooked. My coffee interest has now, however, turned into more than a simple craving. On my kitchen counter is a drip coffee maker, a French press coffee maker, an espresso machine and a coffee grinder. In my garage I do my own coffee roasting with 6 (very beat up) hot-air popcorn poppers. I’ve pretty much gone over the edge.

As I roast coffee from all over the world, I’ve learned a lot about coffee beans and how good coffee is made. On its journey from the coffee plantation to my coffee cup, there are many variables that effect the flavor: the country of origin, the soil properties of the coffee plantation, the type of bean, the method and time of harvest, the method of drying, the time and temperature and “roast curve” to a particular method of roasting, the “rest time” after roasting (but before grinding), the coarseness of the grind, the method of brewing, the proportions of coffee to water and the amount of time the coffee is in contact with the water. Just to name a few.

Seems a bit excessive, don’t you think? Especially for a product that ends up being thrown in the trash – as my coffee grounds are.

The interesting thing about coffee is that its only value is in its ability to influence the water that is around it. And, when done right, that hot water is turned into rich, flavorful, aromatic, caffeinated wonderfulness. All the effort was worth it. But, if for some reason the coffee is not able to properly transform the water (perhaps because it is left in the bag and never used, or because it was not properly roasted or ground – whatever) then what good is it? Rarely does someone eat a coffee bean straight. If it doesn’t bring about the desired change in water, then coffee has very little use at all.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

You ARE rather pastoral--somehow I feel like I learned a spiritual concept by reading about coffee grounds. Hmm...

However I am quite appalled that Fonda said you're the "Al Gore of Youth Pastors". Not only is that just traumatizing, but it's totally an odd juxtaposition of incongruent elements! (Or something.) However, if you were actually to run for president, I'd vote for you.

Blogging is fun, but it takes a long time to get into it. (Joey says it's all about perspective.)

This is probably your longest comment ever and I gotta go work on The Kid's pie. Thanks for inadvertently pointing us in the direction of DTS--had we not spent that time talking about DTS over Family Camp Weekend, Joey and I may not be down here enjoying the sunshine and blooming trees.

I'm sure we'll bump into each other in the blogosphere in the near future...

Frank said...

If you get the hang of roasting coffee down, it kind of spoils you on everything else including Starbucks. I can hardly stand to drink a cup of Maxwell House anymore. It's the same with our spiritual lives, once you've sampled the depths of the Bible, you can't settle for just reading clips and verses. And once you've experienced the joy of complete surrender to God, you can't settle for being a Sunday only Christian. By the way, I found a great little bean from Oaxaca that's interesting by itself but blends very well with some of the "wilder" beans (Sumatra, Kenya, etc.) God Bless your ministry, brother.