Wednesday, March 21, 2007

What would Wyatt think?

This past weekend and all through this week Kelly and I have the opportunity to host several of our friends as they visit over Spring Break or "pass through" on their Spring Break journey to somewhere else. We have a bustling house right now - and we love it.

For the last few days my college buddy Ross and his family have been with us. Here is a sample of a recent conversation.

Ross: "Dude, let's go to Dodge City".
Me: "What? Dodge City? Why?"
Ross: "Because, it's Dodge City, bro - Wyatt Earp - let's go."
Me: "Isn't Dodge City far away?"
Ross: "The map shows about 150 miles"
Me: "150 miles!? That will take all day to get there and back"
Ross: "I know. It will be a guy trip. Come on bro."

So, we went west, out to where Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday did their thing. What we found was... I am not quite sure how to describe it.

I know virtually nothing about Wyatt Earp and even less about Dodge City. (I did see the Kevin Costner movie Wyatt Earp, but I thought it was too boring to remember). Dodge City today is like a normal western Kansas town - lots of cows, lots of wheat. But Dodge City is also trying to cash in on the old west cowboy mystique and thereby lure unsuspecting people like my buddy and me and then separate us from our money.

There are essentially two historic Front Streets in town. (Evidently, "Front Street" was the main street when Wyatt was around). One "Front Street" is like a regular shopping center but with that old west look (wood facades, hitching posts, wooden sidewalks, etc). But the businesses are modern - Wyatt Earp Pizza Hut, Cuttin' Corral Hair and Nail Salon - stuff like that. About a block or so down - between the Applebee's and the Sonic is the more "authentic" Front Street. But this Front Street is gated. You have to pay $7 to get in. But once inside the people are all dressed like it was 1887. Unfortunately this is the off season, so we only saw 2 "characters" in the whole place. Very disappointing. But, fortunately we were able to see some animatronic Indians and some souvenirs which could be purchased (like cowboy Christmas ornaments and "Boot Hill" coffee mugs with your name on them). Ross couldn't resist the coffee mug - he bought one for me as a gift. Thanks, Ross.
I forgot my camera so I had to buy a disposable one at the Dodge City Wal-Mart when we first got into town. But, once I got to the "Front Streets" I found out that there was very little to take pictures of. So, I have almost an entire roll to use up before I can post any more pictures. You're just going to have to wait.

Upon leaving Dodge City to head for home I had two regrets from the trip. I didn't get a picture of me with the bronze statue of Wyatt. And, I never exclaimed the need to "get out of Dodge." What a missed opportunity.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I should say, Greg, you certainly did miss your opportunity.

I don't know who Wyatt Earp was/is either. Nor do I know why he wanted to "get out of Dodge" but it definitely seems like the thing to do.

Ross Bryant said...

No road trip is complete without Quotes:

"Is that the same Applebee's Wyatt Earp ate at?"

"Smell that? Smells like money."

"Wind farm! Why don't they have more of those?"

"Was that you? Bro!"

"You don't like museums? Bro!"

"This is just what I came for...cowboy Christmas ornaments."

"Good Mexican food...for Kansas."

"Do you want me to drive?"

And the best exchange of that memorable day:

Scene: Men's bathroom - Long Branch Saloon (not the same stall, but adjacent, separated by apparently more than the stall partition)

::Ross feels a sense of well-being and general jocularity::

Ross: And you didn't think we'd have any fun today. Shame on you, Cameron.

::Greg grows indignant::

Greg: What?! I never said I wasn't having fun, I just...

::Ross realizes the language barrier is vast::

Ross: Bro. It's a movie quote.

::Greg backpedals::

Greg: Do you always speak in "Movie"? I haven't seen all these obscure movies you have.

::Ross now sad-happy::

Ross: Bro, it's from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Greg: Um,...oh.

fin


All in all, best road trip I've had in a long time. It had all the essential elements: good friends, good food, a pointless destination, and unique memories I'll never get anywhere else. I'll always remember sitting in the modern-day ghost town of off-season tourism, chatting about aesthetics, truth in art, the NSA, and downing a pint (or more) with my good best friend.

Here's to not being *safe*.

Bat Masterson