Sunday, July 1, 2007

Dog + electricity

As many of you know we had a beautiful Golden Retriever named Annie. I say "had" because she died about 6 months ago from kidney failure. She was 4 years old. It was a sad time in the Holmes household.

We enjoyed having a dog around though, so not long after Annie died we started making plans for what kind of dog we would have next. We did a bunch of research on breeds and then threw all that info out the window and picked up a mutt from the Humane Society. We still don't know what kind of dog she is. I am not quite sure what we were thinking.

Our new dog is... how shall I say this?... not a very good dog. She is in need of some intense behavior modification.

Enter electricity.

We got a shock collar. We put it on her for the first time a couple of days ago. We tested it out - had to see what level of shock got her attention. It is a disturbingly powerful feeling to have that remote in your hand. Bzzzz. Bzz. Bzz. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

She responds to it quite well to it - as you might imagine.

We're hoping that the equation is: Bad dog + electricity = good dog.
We'll see.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Not sure if you remember Dumb Dog (the dog we unfortunately had for the entirety of my high school years), but she was an idiot dog we picked up from somebody out in Ely. Her brain was, well, I'm not sure she had one. She kept running across the street to the neighbors and harassing them, so Pops bought a shock collar. It was so amazing. And it worked, too.

Until she realized that the collar was what shocked her, and that she could misbehave when it wasn't on.

Here's hoping your dog is dumber than ours was.

BerriGoodScents Candles, Soaps, Fresheners said...

I have got to get me one of those! I have 2 dogs--one is part chow/shepherd, other is doberman and heinz 57 mix. The latter, Libby is great but Kasey, my chow loves to get out of the front door when my autistic daughter opens it..and it takes hours to get her. A little ZAP might stop that! lol

I live on Overland Park, but originally from Massachusetts. As for food, I hear ya..I mean, is there anything here that is NOT BBQ'd? I want some fresh OCEAN HADDACK, and not that fish with whiskers here!

God Bless,
Kelly

Kristen said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Annie is gone! I know y'all loved her! (can't believe I just said "y'all" - guess I'm learning to be a texan...)

I started tearing up while reading a few of your blogs - guess I miss you & Kelly & the girls more than thought! I hope all is well!

Mama Gail said...

My first thought was, "Oh gosh, I hope no one from PETA stumbles onto this blog. Think of the negative publicity for Garden Community Church!"

My second was, "Hey if this works, we'll try electricity on our own bad dogs." Positive behavior modification is great, but only goes so far.

Honestly, Rosy isn't so bad; she's just a canine adolescent and she's not Annie. Annie is a hard act for any mortal dog to follow. She was a canine angel if there is such a thing and if dogs can get to heaven on their own merit, Annie is there. How's that for theology?