Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Update for Aug 14

Over the past several weeks - every time I have thought about this blog I have felt like a bit of a loser. I keep telling myself, "I'll write another post once I have something witty or inspiring or insightful to say." Alas... nothing.

How do you do it Jenna? For those of you who don't know Jenna - she is a super stud. She was in the youth group I led in Iowa - now she is in Dallas while her husband goes to Seminary. She is a blogging machine - and most of time it is funny too. I stand in awe. You can learn more than you ever wanted to know about Jenna at http://jennawoestman.blogspot.com/

Since I don't have anything terribly insightful to share - here is a basic update.

1. Because of an incredibly generous gift, it looks like I am going to get laser surgery on my eyes. Yep, Greg Holmes will finally be able to see - without contacts or glasses or anything. I am super, super excited. I have been wearing glasses since I was four years old. I am not sure when the surgery will be - I still have to go through the consultations and all that jazz. I can't wait.

2. We finally got the electric fence installed for our dog. I'm a believer. Dogs plus electricity is a really good equation.

3. Our new youth pastor is here. (His official title is Pastor of Student Ministries). Man, what a cool guy. He has been here for about a month. Our church in incredibly fortunate to have him.

4. My barista wife is loving here new part-time job. She has been able to have some great conversations with her co-workers and is learning to make some nifty espresso drinks. No discounts for spouses of employees, however - which is a poor business model if you ask me.

5. It is unbelievably hot here. This is like the third or fourth week in a row with heat indexes well over 100 degrees. I think I am getting soft in my middle age. I can't seem to get from the house to the car without feeling like I am starting to wilt. I am ready for fall.

3 comments:

Erika said...

Hey Greg. I'm happy for you to have the laser surgery! That's exciting!

Greg said...

I am so glad you were able to get some words on the page my friend! You are not a 'loser' you have 'Writer's Block', a COMMON, NOT RARE, ALWAYS HANGING AROUND MY HOUSE, malady in which I am quite the expert!
I am also really excited to hear of your pending surgery. I will be keeping you in prayer.

Jenna said...

I'm not sure I've ever been called a stud before, but muchas gracias for the plug.

I've had writer's block the last week too. Must be something in the water. Or maybe it's just the blasted heat that's melting brains or something.

Hope your eye surgery goes good. Don't watch the Discovery Channel between now and then, they might show a video of someone having it done and that would probably gross you out.